The Neuropsychological Vertigo Inventory (NVI)
The Neuropsychological Vertigo Inventory (NVI) is a questionnaire developed to assess the physical, cognitive and emotional views of patients with vertigo. It consists of 32 questions, each with as a 5-point response Likert scale.
The NVI was developed based on responses from vertigo patients, and the creation and validation of the inventory is described in the following scientific paper :Currently, the NVI exists in French, but different translations are in progress.
- An English version is currently being translated by the team of Dr. R Srinivasa Raghavan (Consultant Audiovistibular Physician; Neuro-Otologist) from the Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Trust Foundation, Guildford Surrey, United Kingdom.
- A Slovenian version is currently being translated by Prof. Saba Battelino (MD, PhD, Head of Audiology and Otosurgery) from the University Medical Center Ljubljana, Medical School, Slovenia.
- A Japanese version is currently being translated by Dr. Fumiyuki Goto (M.D, PhD, Department of otolaryngology, National Hospital Organization Tokyo medical center).
A Turkish version is currently being translated by Prof.Dr.Hatice Seyra Erbek & Gulce Kirazli, PhD student (Baskent University ENT department).
These translations respect double-translation methods in order to allow the final translated versions to be as comparable to the original version, while being adapted to the language and culture of the participants. However, these translated versions will require scientific validation before use.
Two other US teams are also evaluating the adaptation of the NVI to the American population:
- Dr Habib Rizk Team (MD. Msc – Assistant Professor Otology-Neurotology, Director, Vestibular Program, Department of Otolaryngology), Head & Neck Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston – United States. You can contact him here.
- Dr Yuri Agrawal Team (MD MPH FACS, Associate Professor, Division of Otology, Neurotology and Skull Base Surgery), Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
The English version available on this website is the translation provided by Dr. R Srinivasa Raghavan team. For more information about this English translation, please contact their team directly.
A computerised version of the NVI, with automatic scoring is available here :
Important note : The French version does not include the scale “distractors” presented in the original article and provides a total score of 140.
The English version still contains the distractors and provides a total score of 160 (from which it is possible to remove the score of the “distractors” subscale to obtain similar versions).
This questionnaire is made available free of charge, with the permission of the authors, to anyone wishing to use it for non-commercial and / or research purposes. No changes can be made to the questionnaire without the author’s written permission.
The following reference shall be used in all publications: Lacroix, E., Deggouj, N., Salvaggio, S., Wiener, V., Debue, M., & Edwards, M. G. (2016). The development of a new questionnaire for cognitive complaints in vertigo: the Neuropsychological Vertigo Inventory (NVI). European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, 1-9. doi: 10.1007/s00405-016-4135-x
If you would like to know more about the NVI, or contact us in order to make a translation, please send us your request here.